Friday, February 16, 2018

Arneson Family Reunion


This is the story of the much anticipated, long-awaited reunion of the Arneson family.
             My family had never all been in the same place at the same time. We are scattered across the country like raindrops on a windshield, until the dreaded wiper polishes us into obscurity. The Arneson family, my father’s side, was finally brought together by Grandma Doreen’s 80th birthday celebration in August, 2016. The week-long party led us to stay at two cabins in the breathtaking Brentwood Estate in Garfield, Minnesota. As I journeyed along Interstate 94 across the prairies of the Midwest with my immediate family, I did not realize the trip would have a lasting impact on my outlook and change my attitude forever.
            The Brentwood Estate is a gorgeous tract of land, lined by narrow roads that carve through its cabins as it squishes against the shores of Chippewa Lake. Golf carts were the prized possession of the trip and used to cruise the paths. If I was feeling saucy, I commandeered a cart and set off to the main road on the occasional late night excursion. However, not all was roses and teddy bears with these beasts of the links. One instance set the Arneson family into a tizzy after my cousin, Becky, was rammed by one of the stationery carts as if it had a mind of its own. We could not figure out why the cart was not moving when we pressed on the gas pedal. Little did we realize, the cart’s gear had been left between reverse and drive. Once we switched the gear to reverse, the cart jolted backwards and sent an unsuspecting Becky soaring. She was rattled but luckily is a tough lady who will not let a killer golf cart ruin her vacation.  
            Another highlight of the family reunion was our first ever live, in-person draft of the Arneson Fantasy Football League (AFFL). While we had been doing the league since 2002, the family had never gathered in one place to complete a face-to-face draft. Friendly trash talk and well-mannered insults filled the air like moisture on a humid, Mississippi afternoon as IPAs were drained and cheese plates wolfed down. I had the first pick of the draft and selected Rob Gronkowski, quickly becoming an easy target for naysayers and jokes about the breadth of my knowledge. The 2016 AFFL draft in Minnesota had me dreaming of the day when the Arnesons once again unite, laptops in tow and ready to denigrate each other’s fantasy football prowess.
            The moment that would change my life forever came by surprise. It was a quiet morning in which I moseyed down to the stunning lakeshore area to go paddleboarding. After a quiet drift on the lake, balancing on the board like Shaun White preparing to attack the halfpipe, I ran into my uncle. Uncle Steve’s profession is motivational speaking for businesses so he has an incredibly bright outlook on life. As we sat on the beach, sand tickling my feet, he asked me about my life goals and what I would like to accomplish. I will not pretend that I can remember the exact words that Uncle Steve said to me or I said to him but I can evoke the feeling. I have goosebumps right now as I type this sentence and visualize that shoreline. He told me about how I could achieve anything I set my mind to and having a passion and pursuing it until your last, dying breath. He told me about putting my character to the test and reaching out to people who do what I want to do. It lit a fire in my belly and ignited a fervor that had been lying dormant in my gut. Upon returning to college in Pullman directly from the reunion, I began writing my blog and working for The Daily Evergreen. A couple months later I wrote my first book. I will bear my soul through words. I have found my flint. 
Follow Chris on Twitter @LilArneson
Buy/rate/review his book on Amazon


No comments:

Post a Comment