Friday, October 30, 2020

A Totally Honest Review of The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

First I’m gonna guess the cast (or at least just cast the show myself) - I haven’t looked it up, I swear.

Eleanor - Emma Stone Theodora - Amanda Seyfried Luke - Chris Hemsworth Doctor - Bradley Whitford

Mrs. Montague - Meryl Streep Arthur - Willem Dafoe

Alright I just looked it up and it’s a bunch of random people I’ve never heard of, oh and Carla Gugino. 



That was a fun exercise - anyway, I just finished this book and it was pretty good - a solid page-turner. It’s tough to get scared by a book though cuz you can just put it down and look out the window or go grab some string cheese, which is a definitively unscary treat. I think the best way to watch a horror movie is in theaters cuz then you’re all in on the experience and it’s dark in the theater and just a good environment for surprise scares and sudden loud noises and you can throw your popcorn all over the row in front of you and blame it on being startled. You gotta concentrate real hard on a book if you wanna get scared by it or you could read it in an abandoned Albertsons at midnight. 

I also enjoyed reading a book that was published before my parents were born - in 1959. It’s interesting to see how people talked and wrote differently in another time - don’t get confused when they say things are gay. It feels like you’re reading a time capsule that was discovered, buried beneath a pile of Twilight fan fiction in a Borders Books (just googled it and turns out Borders closed its business in 2011 - guess they went the way of the Dodo book...is that what Doctors Without Borders is all wrapped up about?) 

Good book, fun read, appropriate holiday timing.

Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment