Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Montana


Chapter One: The Table
            Bingo!
            This is the universal call of victory. You don’t have to had played the game to know what it means; everyone knows it beans you won or got something correct or is a dog from an old sitcom. Bingo also means fun and community, though. It means togetherness and civic pride. It means competing and getting out of the house. Bingo is all of those things and so many more.
            “Are you from here?” A pleasant looking elderly lady sitting next to me at the table asked.
            I was playing Bingo in Great Falls, Montana at the Eagle’s Lodge near the river with my grandma, Grandma Sharon. We had just arrived and found a table with some of Grandma’s friends after buying Bingo cards. Grandma purchased three for me and a whopping ten for herself, setting the table for a highly likely win. She arranged her cards on the table in front of her in an orderly fashion, preparing to pay very close attention for a prolonged period of time, something that kids have trouble doing these days which I overheard as I eavesdropped on the conversation of an adjacent table of senior citizens.
            “No, I’m from the Seattle area. Bothell, Washington, it’s nearby. I love it here in Great Falls, though, you have a very lovely city.” I said in the kindest of manners.
            “What was that young man? You’re going to have to speak up; I’m getting my hearing aid replaced next week, these darn things don’t work a lick.” The nice old lady confessed.
            “I said you have a very lovely city.” I emphasized for clarification.
            “Well, thank you my dear. How long will you be visiting your grandparents in Great Falls?” She asked politely.
            “For the rest of the week.” I replied.
            “Oh, why will you have to be leaving us so soon? You should just stay with you grandparents forever.” The senior lady quipped. 
Listen to my movie and storytelling podcast A Star Is Born
Instagram: @ChrisArneson8
Pick up my books Sponge Cake & What's In The Fridge?

No comments:

Post a Comment