Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Dog Eat World Chapter 3: The Expiration Date Part Trois

I hate the vet. When no one is looking, I’m going to try to attack the old lady. If I can get to her face before she can get to mine, I will be within a whiff of victory before I know it. If she gets to mine, oh lord, if she gets to my face first. I don’t even want to think about what will happen next. You know what will happen, we all do. I should smell the roses now while I have the chance. I used to love romping around Mom and Dad’s garden bed in the backyard. They didn’t like it when I did that. It sounds weird but that made me love it even more. Does that make me a bad dog? I read in a Reader’s Digest that Black Labs love to romp around their owners garden beds despite their pleas to stop more than any other breed of dog. Reader’s Digest was always my favorite magazine to read along with their spinoff sister brand completely dedicated to my people, Breeder’s Digest. One time I submitted an article to Breeder’s Digest about the benefits of laying in the shade on hot summer day. I received the Golden Paws award that goes to writers with the most creative entries and was invited to a gala in New York City. This was the proudest accomplishment of my career as both a writer and canine.
Anyway, I’m not typically this crude but I hope the vet dies in a tropical helicopter accident. Sure, it’s specific but I saw it in a movie one time and the idea really stuck with me. Like, if I could choose one way to go down if I had to, I would say that I want to die in a tropical helicopter accident. And it has to be in a warm weather climate. A helicopter accident in Alaska wouldn’t read as well on screen or have the same pizazz. Sure, a helicopter accident in Alaska is all well and dandy and a pretty amazing way to end your run, don’t get me wrong. I don’t like it when people misunderstand me or take my words out of context, it is one of my biggest human peeves. All I am saying is that a helicopter accident north of Nome would get you stranded in the frozen tundra with nothing but the remembrance of that Kate Winslet and Idris Elba flick, The Mountain Between Us, while a helicopter accident in Maui would get you laid for the next nineteen months at the least.   
You sidle up to a striking poodle at the local dog park. You’re both relieving yourselves while holding eye contact which is extremely intimate, probably the most intimate thing that you could ever do. She asks you what you do for a living. You tell her that your family allows you to travel a lot, especially to exotic locales. When you go to these exotic locales, you get to do sweet touristy things like go on helicopter tours and visit museums, but this story is more about the helicopter tours. You regale her with the tale of when you were in a helicopter with Mom and Dad and the pilot steered you into the side of a mountain, the mountain from The Mountain Between Us of course to be crystal clear. The wreckage was insane, nothing that has ever been replicated on the big screen or even in the wildest dreams of the most off their rocker director of all time. But I saved us, and by “us” I mean Mom and Dad, the pilot and the pilot’s dog, a breathtaking Irish Terrier, Clara. This was no easy task because Clara had had a few too many shots of Baileys in her coffee that morning so it was like trying to rescue a sack of potatoes that is constantly talking trash about how terrible you smell and how stupid you are while also telling you how much they have to go to the bathroom if a sack of potatoes had to go to the bathroom (I guess they do get soggy occasionally which is the food version of going to the bathroom. We finally made it, see, I knew we would make it.)
So yeah, you tell the striking poodle about the time I saved Mom and Dad, the helicopter pilot and the helicopter pilot’s dog the drunk Irish Terrier, Clara, and come back to me in nineteen months at the earliest when it stops getting you laid.

Listen to my movie and storytelling podcast A Star Is Born
Instagram: @ChrisArneson8

No comments:

Post a Comment