Wednesday, August 31, 2022

South Dakota pt 3: Frolf w/ Uncle Lane


Disc golf is more popular than you would think in South Dakota - the up and coming sport is big on the West coast (especially where I’m from in the great, gloomy Pacific Northwest) but apparently they love it everywhere. It’s certainly one of the fastest growing sports (along with Pickleball - lots of talk about that sport lately - it originated on Bainbridge Island (in the Puget Sound near Seattle) in 1965 - people still visit that original court today, which is actually just someone’s driveway - it’s on my list of obscure tourist spots I would like to visit alongside the World’s Largest Ball of Twine in Kansas, Carhenge in Nebraska (like Stonehenge but with cars) and the lonely Prada store in the middle of the desert outside Marfa, Texas. 

Before enjoying a family meal of ribs, corn, tomatoes and cucumbers at Grandma Arne’s, Uncle Lane (my Dad’s sister’s husband) and I hit the chains (or at least gave it our best hurl). Lane told me about how he used to often compete in local league play and tournaments scattered around the state but his shoulder is banged up after years of huckin’ the disc (who’s the Tommy John of Frolf?) We had a good time walking the 18 holes and delving into Lane’s variety of discs, over 20 contained by his sweet cart, a mobile disc holder, cup holder and all around good time.

Oh and he has this enormous taxidermy elk head in his basement that I believe he must have bagged himself or he is just seeking stolen valor among hunting lodges in the Black Hills (EDIT: My Dad just read this and told me that HIS dad, my Grandpa Wally, who passed when I was 8, was actually the mystery hunting hero - he brought the beast down in the Bridger Mountains, a picturesque range outside Bozeman (Cats!) - the biggest elk he ever nabbed. My Dad has a poster of the Bridger Bowl ski resort in the garage - alongside a Police poster (the band) from the early 80s - Sting! Throwback!) Reminds me of Bar S in Great Falls, Montana, near my Grandpa’s house - that place is full of wildlife - go there if you have ever wanted to have a picnic with a bear while watching Sportscenter.

No comments:

Post a Comment